Almighty Sion "Basket"
The Beat Generation of '50s-era poets and artists continues to hold sway over musicians and artists today, as evidenced by the latest project from instrumental hip-hop outfit Almighty Sion, the production duo made up of Irish producer SertOne and Liverpool's Bolts. Inspired equally by the Beat movement and the rich history of hip-hop beat tapes, Almighty Sion's The Beat Generation LP will soon be available on cassette via Original Cultures. Standout track "Basket" is a meditative, sample-heavy slice of old-school production expertise which mines the two beatmakers' shared appreciation for rich soul samples and the legacy of J Dilla. Before the limited-edition cassette version of The Beat Generation—featuring continuous mixes unavailable on the digital edition—drops on April 22, the album can be streamed in full, here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player