Hsüan, the label led by Irish producer Graeme, has kept a steady rotation of artists (Blacktee, EOMAC, Drop/Dead, and others) going the past two years despite remaining somewhat insular and quiet. Nonetheless, a wealth of excellent material lurks behind the outpost's proverbial curtain, not the least of which is this new tune by Hsüan's founder. "Counterpunch" doesn't try to be anything else beyond a solid slab of well-constructed house, however, there's a lot to tear into here: Graeme flies a single chord progression into the sun for the entire track's duration, keeping his finger on the fader and gradually ramping the volume up while it all soaks in a bath of reverb. The percussion is no slouch either; boasting borderline painful bass tones glued onto the kicks, "Counterpunch" is nothing if not a flat out fun tune.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player