Vincent Parker "Hypo"
- Words: Brad Stabler
Experimental East Vancouver artist Vincent Parker's new release, Hypo, has gained a decidedly positive buzz since it dropped earlier this month. At first listen, Hypo is a dense, challenging work to dive headfirst into, an abrasive burst of darkly colored synths and restlessly sinister polyrhythms. The title track and opener sets the stage for the monstrous album which follow. A hollow blast of gutted feedback gives way to an off-kilter riff before a relentless kick and cymbal pattern drag the whole tune into a frenetic display of firepower. Once the initial shock wears off, there's a dense, beautifully layered tune in "Hypo," one that rewards close attention and could very well induce nightmares. The entirety of Hypo is available as a free download over on Parker's Bandcamp.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player