Vincent Parker "Hypo"
- Words: Brad Stabler
Experimental East Vancouver artist Vincent Parker's new release, Hypo, has gained a decidedly positive buzz since it dropped earlier this month. At first listen, Hypo is a dense, challenging work to dive headfirst into, an abrasive burst of darkly colored synths and restlessly sinister polyrhythms. The title track and opener sets the stage for the monstrous album which follow. A hollow blast of gutted feedback gives way to an off-kilter riff before a relentless kick and cymbal pattern drag the whole tune into a frenetic display of firepower. Once the initial shock wears off, there's a dense, beautifully layered tune in "Hypo," one that rewards close attention and could very well induce nightmares. The entirety of Hypo is available as a free download over on Parker's Bandcamp.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player