Vincent Parker "Hypo"
- Words: Brad Stabler
Experimental East Vancouver artist Vincent Parker's new release, Hypo, has gained a decidedly positive buzz since it dropped earlier this month. At first listen, Hypo is a dense, challenging work to dive headfirst into, an abrasive burst of darkly colored synths and restlessly sinister polyrhythms. The title track and opener sets the stage for the monstrous album which follow. A hollow blast of gutted feedback gives way to an off-kilter riff before a relentless kick and cymbal pattern drag the whole tune into a frenetic display of firepower. Once the initial shock wears off, there's a dense, beautifully layered tune in "Hypo," one that rewards close attention and could very well induce nightmares. The entirety of Hypo is available as a free download over on Parker's Bandcamp.
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- NewsWatch a Live Performance of Jacques Greene's New Single
XLR8R Downloads Player