Cassius Select "Jamo (Kane Ikin Remix)"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
Sydney's Lavurn Lee (pictured above) recently inaugurated his new moniker, Cassius Select, with an EP for fledgling Australian outpost Hunter Gatherer. While Lee has started to build a name for himself based on the abstract R&B he produces under the Guerre alias, One finds him exploring more house-slanted momentums. For instance: EP opener "Jamo" threads watery keys and a muffled stomp through layers of ambient noise. Those shifting breaths of sound are amplified on Kane Ikin's rework of the tune; he creates a fog of highly distorted vocal samples and pulsing breaths of white noise. Ikin's version wasn't released as a part of Cassius Select's EP, but he is currently working on future productions for fellow Australian label This Thing.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player