Jon Hopkins "Open Eye Signal (Nosaj Thing Remix)"
Veteran producer Jon Hopkins' original version of "Open Eye Signal" is one of those tunes that—at a blissful eight minutes in length—sits in a position where it is strong enough to stand on its own, yet it clearly also invites the possibility of making for some quality remixes. Enter reactivated beatsmith Nosaj Thing (pictured above). On his rework of the tune, the LA producer wisely does not attempt to scramble the original's key elements—the coiling synthline, the reversed-heartbeat percussion, and the choir which shouts from every corner—but instead gives them a mysterious downtempo stamp. In rearranging the order in which Hopkins' percussion and various stems were originally pieced together, Nosaj Thing reveals a nocturnal creeper of a tune that was apparently hiding in plain sight all along. The Open Eye Signal (Remixes) EP is out now via Domino with Nosaj Thing's rework joined by additional efforts from Happa, Lord of the Isles, and Luke Abbott.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player