Jon Hopkins "Open Eye Signal (Nosaj Thing Remix)"
Veteran producer Jon Hopkins' original version of "Open Eye Signal" is one of those tunes that—at a blissful eight minutes in length—sits in a position where it is strong enough to stand on its own, yet it clearly also invites the possibility of making for some quality remixes. Enter reactivated beatsmith Nosaj Thing (pictured above). On his rework of the tune, the LA producer wisely does not attempt to scramble the original's key elements—the coiling synthline, the reversed-heartbeat percussion, and the choir which shouts from every corner—but instead gives them a mysterious downtempo stamp. In rearranging the order in which Hopkins' percussion and various stems were originally pieced together, Nosaj Thing reveals a nocturnal creeper of a tune that was apparently hiding in plain sight all along. The Open Eye Signal (Remixes) EP is out now via Domino with Nosaj Thing's rework joined by additional efforts from Happa, Lord of the Isles, and Luke Abbott.
- MP3Real Cosby "Always (feat. Marilyn Baker)"
- NewsTeebs, Jonwayne, Baths, Daedelus, Ras G and More to Feature in Upcoming LA Beat Scene Documentary
- FeatureDrums, DJ Dez, and The D: 10 Things You Need to Know About Andrés
- NewsBen Sims Announces Final Release for Theory, Taps Marcel Dettmann, DVS1, Luke Slater, and Surgeon for Remixes
- MP3Dream Koala "Saturn Boy (Kid Smpl Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player