Color Plus "Pulp"
- Words: Brad Stabler
It may not be the most obvious piece of insight to glean when first listening to "Pulp," but Connecticut-based beatsmith Color Plus (a.k.a. Lars Probert) was more commonly heard crafting hip-hop minded, Brainfeeder-esque beats in the past. Beginning with last year's self-released Cerulean Dream LP, the producer has taken his sound into more experimental territory while also turning to the more addictive tropes of UK garage—the organ stabs, tastefully chopped vocal samples, and one-off drum fills. "Pulp" focuses on those selected garage elements, juggling two simple chord progressions under a beat that flips between 126 and 92 bpm effortlessly. Probert's evolution parallels much of the East Coast beat scene he is associated with, a scene which is beginning to lurch—sometimes begrudgingly—towards a slightly more experimental, yet dancefloor-focused mindset as of late. At this point, there is no permanent home for "Pulp," but look for the tune to land on an official release sometime this summer.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player