Owen Howells "Riding"
Rising UK house producer Owen Howells has a history of writing slow-burning tunes, most notably the standout cut "The Door," which was featured at the top of this year as part of Danza Macabra's VA series. A signature of Howells' productions is the patient simmer with which they get going, and "Riding" surely fits that mold. The tune is virtually devoid of melody, favoring an accelerating, tribal rhythm that holds steady over the course of the song's seven-plus minutes, gradually increasing in intensity through sheer repetition which slowly overloads the senses. Howells' Common People EP—the forthcoming release from which "Riding" comes to us—is slated to drop on May 27 via Celestial.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player