Jamie Grind "Something You Should Know"
- Words: Brad Stabler
Britain-born producer Jamie Grind has been churning out inventive, occasionally addictive tracks for a while now, finding a sweet spot that comes R&B-laced but also utilizes unusual arrangement choices and BPMs that can wander all over the map. Moreover, Grind's also been known to release an EP or two for free. Case in point: earlier today the producer gave away the brief, three-track Short Stories About People EP, from which we pulled "Something You Should Know." Kicking off with a half-step toy-box beat, Grind turns the effort's drums up to a strut, swapping vocal samples in and out while moving the piece through multiple phases which range from playful to serious; this one is packed full of surprises. The full Short Stories About People EP is available to download for free here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player