Free the Robots "Adore"
- Words: Leo Maymind
Free the Robots, the project of Santa Ana native Chris Alfaro, has shared the first taste of his upcoming third album, The Balance, in the form of "Adore." Alfaro's past as a beatmaker and DJ is evident in his crunchy, MPC-heavy production—lilting vocals float over a skipping, sidechained beat that never draws too much attention to any single element. Flutes and organ sounds collide in the dense midrange, before the whole thing abruptly cuts out. It's a crate digger's approach to melody for sure, and while this has been seen before in the likes of Bibio or Lapalux, Alfaro brings his own touch to the collage by letting melodies develop in favor of quick chops. The Balance, Alfaro's first full-length since 2010's Control Alt Delete, is planned for a self-release on August 19, but the tracklist and artwork for the SoCal beatmaker's upcoming LP can be perused before then, after the jump.
01. Ophic (feat. Jessie Jones)
02. Reflect and Reform
08. The Balance
09. Carnival (feat. Jessie Jones)
10. Last Night
11. 2040 (feat. Jonwayne)
12. The Unexplainable
13. Let Go
14. The Rain
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player