El Mahdy Jr. "Coins & Diamonds"
The beats housed on Istanbul-based producer El Mahdy Jr.'s debut effort, The Spirit of Fucked Up Places, is described as a "melting of his native Algerian music, Turkish folk, the furious polyrhythms of West Africa, and his love of slow, low-slung rap beats." It's hard to think of a tune that better fits that description than "Coins & Diamonds." The eerie production wraps long-sustaining chords around a congregation of micro-samples which blend the strums of a grainy guitar with the refracted murmur of a city center. But beneath these interwoven textures are sharp, churning rhythms, making "Coins & Diamonds" a deceivingly propulsive effort and a production that proves especially immersive inside a pair of headphones. The Spirit of Fucked Up Places is out today on vinyl and digital formats.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsApplescal Readies 'Mirage' EP for Atomnation, Shares New Track
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player