El Mahdy Jr. "Coins & Diamonds"
The beats housed on Istanbul-based producer El Mahdy Jr.'s debut effort, The Spirit of Fucked Up Places, is described as a "melting of his native Algerian music, Turkish folk, the furious polyrhythms of West Africa, and his love of slow, low-slung rap beats." It's hard to think of a tune that better fits that description than "Coins & Diamonds." The eerie production wraps long-sustaining chords around a congregation of micro-samples which blend the strums of a grainy guitar with the refracted murmur of a city center. But beneath these interwoven textures are sharp, churning rhythms, making "Coins & Diamonds" a deceivingly propulsive effort and a production that proves especially immersive inside a pair of headphones. The Spirit of Fucked Up Places is out today on vinyl and digital formats.
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- PodcastGerd Janson
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player