El Mahdy Jr. "Coins & Diamonds"
The beats housed on Istanbul-based producer El Mahdy Jr.'s debut effort, The Spirit of Fucked Up Places, is described as a "melting of his native Algerian music, Turkish folk, the furious polyrhythms of West Africa, and his love of slow, low-slung rap beats." It's hard to think of a tune that better fits that description than "Coins & Diamonds." The eerie production wraps long-sustaining chords around a congregation of micro-samples which blend the strums of a grainy guitar with the refracted murmur of a city center. But beneath these interwoven textures are sharp, churning rhythms, making "Coins & Diamonds" a deceivingly propulsive effort and a production that proves especially immersive inside a pair of headphones. The Spirit of Fucked Up Places is out today on vinyl and digital formats.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player