Ikebana "Ends (Matthewdavid Remix)"
- Words: Brad Stabler
In Japanese, "Ikebana" is a kind of flower arrangement which places less emphasis on the buds and blooms, and more on the roots, stems, and the arrangement and growth thereof. signed to Signed to Japanese imprint flau, the drone-indebted shoegaze outfit Ikebana has a sound that seems to decidedly draw inspiration from its moniker—one which is considerably restrained and sparse, relying on the repetition of delicately embellished chords. It's also a good fit for Leaving Records boss and lo-fi alchemist Matthewdavid. His remix of "Ends," taken from Ikebana's debut When You Arrive There (out on July 8, artwork above), sees the LA artist tossing and turning atop a waterbed of degraded guitar chords that swell, dissolve back into static, and rise again. What really helps "Ends (Matthewdavid Remix)" along is its focus: The tune features zero percussion and is devoid of the sub-bass tangents known to frequently mark his work. Instead, Matthewdavid entrances us with gorgeous chords, gauzy vocals, pools of tape fuzz, and little else.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player