Quell "Groove's Glory"
From the opening of drum breaks and four-on-the-floor kick patterns which launch Quell's "Groove's Glory," it's pretty clear we are in for some old-school-flavored house. The Berlin-based artist has been building up his production chops for years now, but it wasn't until this month that the man finally released his first full-length effort, an LP chocked full of jacking beats, piano chords, organ stabs, and diva vocal chops. Them Crowd Kids cut "Groove's Glory" is a fine example of what Quell's debut album has to offer, with its syncopated bass and organ runs, rolling house beats, and tasteful assemblages of wordless vocal flashes. The vinyl version of the Them Crowd Kids LP is out now via Ibadan, with a full digital release set for June 18.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player