This slow burner from 19-year-old producer John Howes—who has graced XLR8R's pages before—shows a level of sophistication to detail that belies his age. "Leazes," which comes from a forthcoming 12" due on July 22 via Melodic, starts with a molasses-like synth that creaks over a tentative kick pattern. Distant, clicky rimshots and low-bit hi-hats make an entrance before the whole thing erupts into an energetic house beat, as if the groove was struggling to get out from under its own weight. The song displays an impressive amount of restraint and arrangement prowess, a sure sign that more quality sounds are likely to come from the young Howes.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- FeatureGet Familiar: thePeople
XLR8R Downloads Player