- Words: Brad Stabler
Fractured boogie producer DakotaBones (a.k.a. Benjamin Christensen) is a Detroit-based newcomer whose "Samurai" tune is more than happy to makes its influences known. Holding a steady groove at the tune's outset and brandishing every corner with slowed-down disco touches and SoCal-touched synth swells, this isn't the deepest of cuts, but it's not meant to be. Christensen seems to approach "Samurai" with his tongue firmly in cheek—the obligatory samurai sample pops up for barely a second—building a lighthearted tune meant to be funky, make the listener smile, and that's about it. Still, DakotaBones' sounds go deeper: He recently released his first full-length effort, Ø (artwork above), via the MJ MJ imprint, which is a decidedly more experimental project than the playful chops heard on "Samurai."
- NewsSteffi and Martyn Announce Collaborative EP as Doms & Deykers
- NewsAirhead Preps New Single for Hemlock
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsRoman Flügel Shares New Track from Upcoming LP
XLR8R Downloads Player