Ellie Herring "Always Just OK"
Though only armed with a simple refrain and an occasional set of airy chords, Ellie Herring's "Always Just OK" is a beat steeped in contemplation. Still, the tune—pulled from Herring's forthcoming Kite Day EP—is not without a tasteful touch of bounce, which can be attributed to the track's melodic pattern of tuned percussion and alternating instances of reverb-washed snaps and drum-machine-born claps. In the end, it's hard to categorize "Always Just OK"—there are flashes of refracted R&B, the slightest footwork undertones, and the familiar sheen of space-age beatmaking to be heard—but Herring's craft is likely the better for its refusal to fit within a particular framework. Six more of the artist's original productions will be made available alongside remixes from VHNL, Albert Swarm, and Sines + Katastrophic when Kite Day sees a release on July 23.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player