Katie Gately "Last Day"
Newcomer Katie Gately hails from Los Angeles, but the fact isn't exactly apparent from listening to "Last Day", the first track to appear from her self-titled debut for UK label Public Information (out on September 2). With pure, ethereal vocals poured over an industrial and sluggish beat, "Last Age" sounds like Gately found the hidden door to the intersection of light and shadow, planting her flag solidly at its nexus. At the track's core is a harsh sample of what sounds like a bottle being dragged across the ground, and there's an eerie contrast between the slow, wrenching rhythm and the light, airy vocals which echo out into the abyss. "Last Day" comes with a similarly demented and angular video from filmmaker Alexander Stewart, which can be seen after the jump.
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- NewsWatch a Live Performance of Jacques Greene's New Single
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Surgeon, Jackmaster, John Talabot, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player