Katie Gately "Last Day"
Newcomer Katie Gately hails from Los Angeles, but the fact isn't exactly apparent from listening to "Last Day", the first track to appear from her self-titled debut for UK label Public Information (out on September 2). With pure, ethereal vocals poured over an industrial and sluggish beat, "Last Age" sounds like Gately found the hidden door to the intersection of light and shadow, planting her flag solidly at its nexus. At the track's core is a harsh sample of what sounds like a bottle being dragged across the ground, and there's an eerie contrast between the slow, wrenching rhythm and the light, airy vocals which echo out into the abyss. "Last Day" comes with a similarly demented and angular video from filmmaker Alexander Stewart, which can be seen after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player