- Words: Leo Maymind
London producer AEIOU has slowly been trickling tracks out into the world, utilizing filtered vocals typical of old school UK garage and precise percussion touches that demonstrate a sophisticated level of restraint. His latest, "Loin", shows a newfound appreciation of the type of hard-hitting 90's drum sounds that aren't too far removed from the Night Slugs universe. The track's minimal arrangement centers around a militant, four-on-the-floor kick, resonant bass stabs, and some ticking hi-hats that appear for a brief respite, all while circling a moaning vocal sample. In the club, this type of track is indispensable for a DJ to have in his back pocket but AEIOU manages to shave off just enough of the brutality to make this a worthwhile listen on and off the dancefloor.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player