Black Beacon Sound "MicroComposer"
- Words: Leo Maymind
Oakland producer Dave Reep might be a recognizable name to some readers, as his Elephant and Castle project has graced our pages before. His Transitions LP (released via Plug Research in 2012) was described by us as a "musical cocktail that shares more than a couple main ingredients with FlyLo's mystifying Cosmogramma," but Reep's latest project, Black Beacon Sound, finds the producer focusing on a sound palette more aligned with the propulsive throb of techno and dark drive of the many splintering strands of UK bass music. A standout cut from his new Presence EP, "MicroComposer" takes hold of one strong idea and doesn't let go. The song slowly builds on the foundation of a jerky, industrial groove, ringing piano chords, and a blurry bassline, eventually entering more cosmic territory with a spacey, tremolo guitar and distinct low-end thrust. Black Beacon Sound's entire EP is available now as a "name-your-own-price" download, and can be streamed after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player