Steve Reich & Coldcut "Music for 18 Musicians (Maceo Plex Remix)"
- Words: Leo Maymind
Tech-house DJ/producer Eric Estornel (a.k.a. Maceo Plex, pictured above) has managed to maintain a consistent output over the years, under both his Maceo Plex and Maetrik monikers. He's been known as much for his DJ mixes and exclusive edits as for his original productions, so we're understandably excited to be offering an exclusive download of his remix of Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians." Having first appeared in Maceo Plex's Essential Mix back in February 2012, the tune has since been one of his most requested tracks, yet it has remained officially unreleased until now. Estornel takes veteran English outfit Coldcut's remix of the track and picks up where the duo left off—bolstering Reich's overlapping, hypnotic patterns with a deep house groove that pushes forward the surge of instrumentation even more. A trance-like synth pattern sweeps over the delicate marimba and xylophone arpeggios before a piece of warped vocals appears out of the abyss. It all makes for an entrancing piece that uses the power of a modern classic for use on the dancefloor.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player