- Words: Jesse Sussman
French producer Opti has just released the Need and Hostility EP, a seven-track effort over a year in the making and from which we've pulled the delicate "Need." Even on a cursory listen of the tune, Opti's sound design background reveals itself immediately, thanks to a scraping, metallic tone that somehow twists into a more wistful and lifelike sound. The producer continues to employ a wide array of unique timbres throughout his tune's duration—including thick, lush pads, skipping synths, and distant, reverb-soaked drum hits. Sometimes, the technical aspects of sound design can seem to be anything but musical, so it's all the more refreshing to hear Opti blend the two so seamlessly on "Need." And more of the artist's handiwork can be heard by streaming his brand-new EP after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player