- Words: Jesse Sussman
French producer Opti has just released the Need and Hostility EP, a seven-track effort over a year in the making and from which we've pulled the delicate "Need." Even on a cursory listen of the tune, Opti's sound design background reveals itself immediately, thanks to a scraping, metallic tone that somehow twists into a more wistful and lifelike sound. The producer continues to employ a wide array of unique timbres throughout his tune's duration—including thick, lush pads, skipping synths, and distant, reverb-soaked drum hits. Sometimes, the technical aspects of sound design can seem to be anything but musical, so it's all the more refreshing to hear Opti blend the two so seamlessly on "Need." And more of the artist's handiwork can be heard by streaming his brand-new EP after the jump.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player