Max McFerren "Put It Up With That (I Need U 2) "
Max McFerren's debut for New York label Sci-Fi & Fantasy was a strong slice of classic house that came out swinging. Now, the DJ/producer has announced his next release, a four-song EP entitled Put It Up With That (out on July 16). The title track gets things going right away: McFerren takes the fairly common house tropes of diva vocals and insistent hi-hats and wrangles them into something uniquely fresh and, more importantly, his own. There's an urgency in how the arrangement builds with a crunchy, warped arpeggio and a backwards, reverb-drenched cymbal splash, before it subtly unfolds with some sensual chords that could have been cut from a lost Whitney Houston b-side. McFerren manages to take us to a few magical heights while keeping our feet glued to the dancefloor, and more of that can be heard in the preview of his upcoming EP, after the jump.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player