Max McFerren "Put It Up With That (I Need U 2) "
Max McFerren's debut for New York label Sci-Fi & Fantasy was a strong slice of classic house that came out swinging. Now, the DJ/producer has announced his next release, a four-song EP entitled Put It Up With That (out on July 16). The title track gets things going right away: McFerren takes the fairly common house tropes of diva vocals and insistent hi-hats and wrangles them into something uniquely fresh and, more importantly, his own. There's an urgency in how the arrangement builds with a crunchy, warped arpeggio and a backwards, reverb-drenched cymbal splash, before it subtly unfolds with some sensual chords that could have been cut from a lost Whitney Houston b-side. McFerren manages to take us to a few magical heights while keeping our feet glued to the dancefloor, and more of that can be heard in the preview of his upcoming EP, after the jump.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player