Max McFerren "Put It Up With That (I Need U 2) "
Max McFerren's debut for New York label Sci-Fi & Fantasy was a strong slice of classic house that came out swinging. Now, the DJ/producer has announced his next release, a four-song EP entitled Put It Up With That (out on July 16). The title track gets things going right away: McFerren takes the fairly common house tropes of diva vocals and insistent hi-hats and wrangles them into something uniquely fresh and, more importantly, his own. There's an urgency in how the arrangement builds with a crunchy, warped arpeggio and a backwards, reverb-drenched cymbal splash, before it subtly unfolds with some sensual chords that could have been cut from a lost Whitney Houston b-side. McFerren manages to take us to a few magical heights while keeping our feet glued to the dancefloor, and more of that can be heard in the preview of his upcoming EP, after the jump.
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- FeaturePachanga, Pantha du Prince, and a Japanese Drone Dance: 10 Reasons We Loved MUTEK.MX 2014
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
XLR8R Downloads Player