DJAO "Talking Drum"
Seattle beatmaker Alex Osuch (a.ka. DJAO) has only recently shifted his focus from DJing to production work, and this new track for an upcoming compilation for Blankstairs (available on Bandcamp tomorrow) finds the artist seeking asylum in the dusty corners of a shuffling, hip-hop-influenced beat. It's something J Dilla probably could have scraped together in 20 minutes on his MPC, but DJAO takes the idea further, building the track's melodic content with a rolling synth that adds an uneasy movement. For a moment, vocals come in before hiding behind a wash of heavy reverb, as if to remind the listener that there is emotion trying to seep through the tune's loping rhythms.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player