DJAO "Talking Drum"
Seattle beatmaker Alex Osuch (a.ka. DJAO) has only recently shifted his focus from DJing to production work, and this new track for an upcoming compilation for Blankstairs (available on Bandcamp tomorrow) finds the artist seeking asylum in the dusty corners of a shuffling, hip-hop-influenced beat. It's something J Dilla probably could have scraped together in 20 minutes on his MPC, but DJAO takes the idea further, building the track's melodic content with a rolling synth that adds an uneasy movement. For a moment, vocals come in before hiding behind a wash of heavy reverb, as if to remind the listener that there is emotion trying to seep through the tune's loping rhythms.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player