DJAO "Talking Drum"
Seattle beatmaker Alex Osuch (a.ka. DJAO) has only recently shifted his focus from DJing to production work, and this new track for an upcoming compilation for Blankstairs (available on Bandcamp tomorrow) finds the artist seeking asylum in the dusty corners of a shuffling, hip-hop-influenced beat. It's something J Dilla probably could have scraped together in 20 minutes on his MPC, but DJAO takes the idea further, building the track's melodic content with a rolling synth that adds an uneasy movement. For a moment, vocals come in before hiding behind a wash of heavy reverb, as if to remind the listener that there is emotion trying to seep through the tune's loping rhythms.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player