Helado Negro "Detroit"
Brooklyn resident Roberto Carlos Lange has always been something of a shapeshifter. He has released several records of his own carefree and delicate electronic productions, partnered with Julianna Barwick for their collaborative OMBRE project, and worked with fellow restless beatmaker Guillermo Scott Herren (a.k.a. Prefuse 73) in Savath y Savalas. For his upcoming Island Universe Story Two EP, which will be released under the Helado Negro alias on August 27, Lange focuses on his own creative process rather than setting out to achieve any specific goal, describing its creation as one of compiling daily recordings. "Detroit," a mid-tempo track from the upcoming record, rides a skipping bass melody and playful vocal coos into a soothing, sensual limbo. The song never feels rushed or desperate—almost as if it's discovering its own structure concurrently with the listener. Furthermore, Lange will be taking Helado Negro out on the road for a tour this fall, the full dates of which can be found after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player