Ernest Gonzalez and Diego Bernal "Thirteen Gold Coins (Nicodxmvs Remix)"
Ernest Gonzales has released music under a few different guises in the past few years, but his latest release, an EP called Atonement, is a unique collaboration with beatmaker, civil rights attorney, and San Antonio District 1 councilman Diego Bernal. The two met in 2008 when Gonzales was seeking out producers for a Texas-centric compilation for his Exponential label, eventually releasing two albums by Bernal and becoming friends in the process. Here, Gonzales has enlisted fellow local talent Nicodxmvs to twist their "Thirteen Gold Coins" track into an evocative, footwork-leaning exploration. Nicodxmvs does a good job of finding space within the mix to wring out some necessary emotion, pushing a vocal sample into the abyss while click-clack drums are zipped tighter with digital distortion. "Thirteen Gold Coins (Nicodxmvs Remix)" is bursting with energy, but moreso, has more than enough ideas to pique our interest in what he does next.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsHear Dntel's Upcoming LP for Leaving/Stones Throw
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player