SCNTST "Basement Structure"
We haven't exactly been keeping tabs on Hamburg-based DJ/producer Boys Noize or his eponymous label, but its latest signee, SCNTST (a.k.a. Bryan Müller), has managed to catch our attention. The young producer trades in particularly hard-hitting rhythms that ride the line between bombastic club sounds and an austere techno aesthetic. On "Basement Structure," taken from his Percee Scan EP (out next Monday as a four-track digital package and two-track vinyl), Müller works a distorted, thumping kick with disco-sourced hi-hats into a frenzy, creating a barnburner of a jam with little more than those elements and a handful of slowly swelling synth chords. The rhythmically focused production takes a momentary detour during a swirling breakdown, just before flanged piano chords ramp the energy back up and keep "Basement Structure" steadily driving until its conclusion.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player