SCNTST "Basement Structure"
We haven't exactly been keeping tabs on Hamburg-based DJ/producer Boys Noize or his eponymous label, but its latest signee, SCNTST (a.k.a. Bryan Müller), has managed to catch our attention. The young producer trades in particularly hard-hitting rhythms that ride the line between bombastic club sounds and an austere techno aesthetic. On "Basement Structure," taken from his Percee Scan EP (out next Monday as a four-track digital package and two-track vinyl), Müller works a distorted, thumping kick with disco-sourced hi-hats into a frenzy, creating a barnburner of a jam with little more than those elements and a handful of slowly swelling synth chords. The rhythmically focused production takes a momentary detour during a swirling breakdown, just before flanged piano chords ramp the energy back up and keep "Basement Structure" steadily driving until its conclusion.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player