SCNTST "Basement Structure"
We haven't exactly been keeping tabs on Hamburg-based DJ/producer Boys Noize or his eponymous label, but its latest signee, SCNTST (a.k.a. Bryan Müller), has managed to catch our attention. The young producer trades in particularly hard-hitting rhythms that ride the line between bombastic club sounds and an austere techno aesthetic. On "Basement Structure," taken from his Percee Scan EP (out next Monday as a four-track digital package and two-track vinyl), Müller works a distorted, thumping kick with disco-sourced hi-hats into a frenzy, creating a barnburner of a jam with little more than those elements and a handful of slowly swelling synth chords. The rhythmically focused production takes a momentary detour during a swirling breakdown, just before flanged piano chords ramp the energy back up and keep "Basement Structure" steadily driving until its conclusion.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player