Californian artist Dean Grenier, who produces simply as Grenier, has been steadily churning out his own take on dubstep-leaning bass music for a few years now—Voids, his series of free Bandcamp releases, exhibited a rare abilty to span genres while retaining an individualistic voice. Following official releases for Symbols, Tectonic, and others in 2012, Grenier has teamed with upstart label Kinky Beggar to release a handpicked selection of tracks taken from his three Voids installments. "Complicated," one of the offering's previously unreleased productions, finds the artist milking a deep, heady house beat that shifts gears halfway through, melting into a viscous transition which leads to a sinister, arpeggio-fueled dream sequence before crescendoing again. It makes for a great addition to Grenier's older tracks, all of which will be digitally re-released with fresh mastering on September 30.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player