SETH "Don't Open Your Make"
Following Gobby's Fashion Lady LP from earlier this year, the Brooklyn techno galvanizer has teamed up with vocalist James K for a new project called SETH. And though the duo compiled a sort of precursor of a mix about a year ago, the smeared and slimy "Don't Open Your Make" is our first taste of SETH's original music. Here, Gobby and James K sound sublimely incandescent, lazily balancing on the back of their beat. The singer's strangely ethereal vocals bring to mind '90s-era trip-hop with nods to the more gothy sounds of the '80s, as the production's angular and discordant melodies align "Don't Open Your Make" more with UNO's left-of-center aesthetic. The rest of SETH's debut EP, Chick on the Moon, will be released on October 8.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player