Lewis James "Midnight (Instrumental)"
- Words: Chris Kokiousis
It's been a busy year for Amsterdam-based producer Lewis James, who will follow up the Krakatoa EP with his second release of 2013, Desire For Infinity (out on September 16 via Original Cultures). Leading up to that record, the label is giving away an instrumental version of EP cut "Midnight." James lays deep, sensual bass over entrancing guitar and string loops on his track, refitting a dance music structure with hip-hop production techniques. It's a departure from the spastic rave bliss of Krakatoa and much more in line with the work of young beatheads like, say, Star Slinger. The EP version of "Midnight" features detuned, smoky vocals from recurring collaborator Dolor, and can be streamed after the jump.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- NewsLivity Sound Preps Remix Compilation Featuring Surgeon, Pangaea, and More
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player