- Words: Leo Maymind
The two Dublin producers of Terriers, Peter Ward and Ronan Downing cheekily describe their sound as "afterhours haus," though it's a surprisingly apt descriptor for the outfit's minimal, atmospheric brand of house music. Sticking to sounds with a bit of dirt around the edges, their arrangements have the natural flow of tracks made live on hardware, not unlike a smattering of artists pumping out tracks for US labels like L.I.E.S. and 100% Silk. On "13/13," a new tune taken from Terriers' upcoming Baku EP, a noisy, rumbling intro eventually makes way for a stolid kick and faded, wavering synth melody. A distant vocal sample and fluttering synth flourish occasionally punctuate the rhythm, but Terriers seems less concerned with individual parts, focusing its interest on capturing that ever-elusive "vibe"—and "13/13" has it in spades.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player