Black Beacon Sound "Girl, If"
- Words: Leo Maymind
Last time we checked in with Oakland producer Dave Reep, he had just shared "Microcomposer," a track we described as settling into the gaps between the "propulsive throb of techno and dark drive of the many splintering strands of UK bass music." Reep's latest offering under his Black Beacon Sound alias, a seven-track EP entitled Distance, finds him covering even more ground, dragging a fair amount of dust and debris along for the ride. Featured here, "Girl, If" tags a side-chained loop of static with a submerged vocal and a filtered 2-step beat that climbs out from underneath the murk. A staccato piano riff eventually joins the mix, adding another layer of hypnotism to the rolling track. The rest of Black Beacon Sound's Distance EP can be nabbed as a "name-your-price" download over at the producer's Bandcamp.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player