Palms Trax "I Wanna"
- Words: DeForrest Brown
Ahead of his inaugural release for the new Lobster Theremin imprint, Berlin-based producer Palms Trax (who once dropped eerie bass tunes as Drop/Dead) has shared one-off track "I Wanna." Apparently, Palms Trax and Lobster Theremin label head Jimmy Asquith initially bonded over "vintage US sounds, analogue workouts, and rough-edged intersections of house and techno," something which is quite evident in this lush and active production. "I Wanna" immediately recalls Detroit techno excavator Legowelt, in that it skirts the edges of house and techno to collect only what it needs. With the meticulous integration of three-dimensional synth melodies and tumbling toms, "I Wanna" bounces back and forth between a forceful house jam and a techno banger, never quite settling on which angle is best to attack the dancefloor. Palms Trax's four-track Equation EP will be released via Lobster Theremin on October 7, but before then, a recent radio mix from the artist can be found after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player