Hubie Davison "Haven"
"Haven," a track from Irish producer Hubie Davison's I Won't Be There EP (out today via Berlin-based Leisure System), begins with a mild-mannered, ambient intro before launching into a sleek, weightless groove that subtly recalls past work from Nicolas Jaar or Gui Boratto. Wordless vocal coos coalesce into warm synth pads ahead of an elegant change of direction, when the production dries up and settles into a mechanical rhythm. Davison's roomy percussion sounds and idiosyncratic drum palette keep things from sounding overtly retro, and as "Haven" transitions to a slightly more syncopated beat, it becomes clear that I Won't Be There is a debut record from an artist who has quite a lot to say but is in no hurry to say it.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player