Hubie Davison "Haven"
"Haven," a track from Irish producer Hubie Davison's I Won't Be There EP (out today via Berlin-based Leisure System), begins with a mild-mannered, ambient intro before launching into a sleek, weightless groove that subtly recalls past work from Nicolas Jaar or Gui Boratto. Wordless vocal coos coalesce into warm synth pads ahead of an elegant change of direction, when the production dries up and settles into a mechanical rhythm. Davison's roomy percussion sounds and idiosyncratic drum palette keep things from sounding overtly retro, and as "Haven" transitions to a slightly more syncopated beat, it becomes clear that I Won't Be There is a debut record from an artist who has quite a lot to say but is in no hurry to say it.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player