Pawn "Hot Skull"
Los Angeles has seen a deluge of quality experimental hip-hop and dance producers in recent years, and in that anything-goes creative setting, LA native Pawn manages to mash up homegrown sounds with inspired flashes of footwork and jungle. It's surprising that "Hot Skull"—a spastic cut with slight EDM touches featured on the upcoming Smog City 2 compilation—actually works, but the screeching breakdowns and ever-changing rhythms associated with that scene are put to good use here. Pawn's latest cut doesn't stay in one place for long; its skittering hi-hats and drum & bass breaks—along with a footwork-inspired, pushy vocal sample—are a little overwhelming, but "Hot Skull" never dumbs itself down or manipulates listeners into submission.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player