Pawn "Hot Skull"
Los Angeles has seen a deluge of quality experimental hip-hop and dance producers in recent years, and in that anything-goes creative setting, LA native Pawn manages to mash up homegrown sounds with inspired flashes of footwork and jungle. It's surprising that "Hot Skull"—a spastic cut with slight EDM touches featured on the upcoming Smog City 2 compilation—actually works, but the screeching breakdowns and ever-changing rhythms associated with that scene are put to good use here. Pawn's latest cut doesn't stay in one place for long; its skittering hi-hats and drum & bass breaks—along with a footwork-inspired, pushy vocal sample—are a little overwhelming, but "Hot Skull" never dumbs itself down or manipulates listeners into submission.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player