Bay Area producers Read more »
Downloads - Page 717
Alex Newman and Shawn Jackson combine their talents (as well as names) to comprise New Jack Hustle, a two-man musical team that hails from Los Angeles. Newman might be more known for his work with Giant Panda, but this project leans more towards that throwback, sample-heavy sound that earned them a reputation. The record is, a bit surprisingly, out on a new Irish label called All City Dublin, but there isn’t a doubt that this is coming from the West Coast.
Besides releasing his latest album Read more »
There's no better way to support an artist than by directly paying them for their music, and 23-year old Los Angeles-based producer Sam Baker, a.k.a. Samiyam, has made that concept easier than ever. A couple weeks ago, Sam announced that he would sell his Rap Beats Vol. 1 release through paypal, directly from his MySpace page, where a few more choice selections from the disc can be heard. For a mere 10 bones, fans get a handmade CDR with custom artwork and 23 dusty hip-hop beats as only Sam can make them. He has asked that anyone purchasing the release take a photo of the artwork and post on his blog. Photo by Pinkee.
Even though Silje Nes studied classical piano, she doesn’t touch the instrument much anymore, opting instead for ones she has had less conventional training, with, which lends a pleasant naivety to her home recordings. Her songs exist in a charming, bedroom world of lightly strummed guitars and gently tapped rhythms. “It’s the recording that I enjoy,” she says, “and I can’t separate that from the songwriting.” Nes, a Norwegian-based artist, is playing her first set of U.S. dates this week, hopefully translating this sort of homespun intimacy into the club setting.
Grandmothers across the United States would never have guessed that knitting would make them as hip as they are these days. Crafting clothing seems to be nearly as popular as, well, electronic music, a fact that hasn’t been lost on Brooklyn’s Teletextile. Pamela Martinez, the violinist, vocalist, and songwriter of the group, was a seamstress long before she started stitching together songs with her current quartet. Boston-based DJ Die Young tailors the remix of this track with some delay effects and a strong bass beat, making a nice fit for the dance floor. Wyatt Williams
One of the first hip-hop groups to publicly Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player