Cropper "Sweet Talk"
- Words: Chris Kokiousis
Bristol-born artist Niall Cropper, who releases music simply as Cropper, toys cleverly with house tropes; what initially seems like a saccharine, vocal-heavy style is revealed to be a little darker and dubbier than imagined. On "Sweet Talk," Cropper establishes a mood with straight-ahead house percussion and spotless piano stabs, as female vocal melodies ring out in near-perpetual delay. Practically out of nowhere, grinding blasts of bass and even more echo are mixed in, and the crowd-pleasing cut becomes more insightful and complex. Additionally, a video for "Forever"—Cropper's one-sided 12" single which is out now via Blah Blah Blah—can be viewed after the jump.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player