Mr. Beatnick "Waning Moon (Best Available Technology Remix)"
- Words: DeForrest Brown
Under his Best Available Technology moniker, Kevin Palmer has carved a signature sound out of tumultuously looping and lumpy techno. Our review of Palmer's recent BASH004 12" commented on the archival and searching nature of his music, which is full of delay effects and crude samples. Featured here, "Waning Moon (Best Available Technology Remix)" sees Palmer construing London DJ/producer Mr. Beatnick's (pictured above) original production—lifted from his The Synthetes Trilogy record—into a grainy and subdued house track. The harmonic textures and melodic developments of the remix are both immediately heartfelt and detached; Palmer holds the emotional core at a firm distance, as each keyboard stroke is warped and overrun by vinyl crackle and searing, elongated drones.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player