David Douglas "Higher (Weval Remix)"
Applescal's Atomnation label begins its 2014 run with a new EP from Dutchman David Douglas—whose full-bodied, vocal-sprinkled "Higher" serves as the title track for a record which will arrive on January 27 backed by three remixes, including this one from Amsterdam duo Weval. "Higher" moves with a lighter step in Weval's hands, the space between its floating chords acts as an area for airy percussion and the echoes of artificial space to thrive. This is true for the first half at least, as Weval eventually can't resist laying into an almost marching rhythm for his rework's final run, pairing its steady stomp with a lazily brooding bassline. "Higher (Weval Remix)" will appear on the forthcoming Higher EP alongside other versions from Throwing Snow and Matheis, and—of course—Douglas' original version of the tune, which can be streamed in full after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player