"Brandished" is the adventurous title track from anonymous producer Wertheimer's forthcoming EP for the Lex label (out digitally on February 24 and on vinyl format in March). According to our sources, Wertheimer is a "sheet metal worker from Dusseldorf who makes music in his spare time," and with this production as our only corroborating evidence, his story seems to check out. The focus of the nearly 10-minute "Brandished" is squarely on the effort's textures and their detailed construction. As the track progresses, Wertheimer appears to favor tweaking the sonic landscape more than following any particular musical movement, and the resulting composition is one that digs deeper and deeper, constantly revealing new layers of fine-tuned sounds as "Brandished" unhurriedly rolls to its conclusion.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player