Solar Bears "Interzone"
It could never be said that Solar Bears doesn't stick to what it knows. The two Dublin musicians who make up the group's core, John Kowalski and Rian Trench are psychedelic kosmische specialists and ardent film buffs through and through, and those two specific interests come together in a loose sort of way on their first piece of new music since last year's Supermigration album for Planet Mu (not to mention the mix they gave us back in January). "Interzone" hit our inbox with the note, "New studio jam in honour of the late, great director Dennis Hopper. With much respect." And though the song's kind of motorik arpeggios, lush synth chords, and thumping drum-machine patterns wouldn't exactly be commonplace in any of Hopper's work (not even the obscure sci-fi comedy he had a bit in in the '80s), we imagine that the man's penchant for hallucinogens and sweeping soundtracks would land Solar Bears' latest piece right in his personal wheelhouse.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player