King of the Mountains "Zoetrope"
Operating as King of the Mountains, longstanding UK producer/composer Philip Kay (a former member of Manchester's Working for a Nuclear Free City outfit) will release his Zoetrope LP (artwork above) in the coming weeks via the Meldoic imprint. On the record's title track, Kay sounds utterly confident in his craft, piecing together an immense composition that fuses sharp melodic tweaks, grainy pads, and textured percussion in expert fashion. But Kay gradually pulls "Zoetrope" apart as it nears the end of its six-minute run, letting the synths run wild amidst an ever-deepening soundscape. It's all impressively reminiscent of Jon Hopkins' most recent work and bodes well for Kay's upcoming 10-track album as King of the Mountains.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player