Makeup "Vessels as Shadows"
- Words: Derek Kaneko
Emerging Atlanta-based producer Makeup (a.k.a. Arkia Jahani) develops a dour, emotionally heavy aesthetic throughout his recent Divine Fashion EP, a six-track offering with qualities reminiscent of Tri Angle mainstay Holy Other. From that free digital release, "Vessels as Shadows" is a haunting progression rife with thick reverb and anguished chants resonating alongside patterns of high-pitched pulses. As the individual layers culminate, Makeup's controlled production weaves the multiple vocal, synth, and bass layers into a well-orchestrated arrangement, evoking a meticulously crafted outpouring of emotion in its final moments. Jahani also teamed up with Alex Zhuravlov to co-direct a visual companion for the track, which is said to follow themes related to "limitations of personal identity and gender" in a dark and mesmerizing display of choreography. The piece enhances "Vessels as Shadows"'s overwhelming sense of impassioned agony and can be viewed after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player