Makeup "Vessels as Shadows"
- Words: Derek Kaneko
Emerging Atlanta-based producer Makeup (a.k.a. Arkia Jahani) develops a dour, emotionally heavy aesthetic throughout his recent Divine Fashion EP, a six-track offering with qualities reminiscent of Tri Angle mainstay Holy Other. From that free digital release, "Vessels as Shadows" is a haunting progression rife with thick reverb and anguished chants resonating alongside patterns of high-pitched pulses. As the individual layers culminate, Makeup's controlled production weaves the multiple vocal, synth, and bass layers into a well-orchestrated arrangement, evoking a meticulously crafted outpouring of emotion in its final moments. Jahani also teamed up with Alex Zhuravlov to co-direct a visual companion for the track, which is said to follow themes related to "limitations of personal identity and gender" in a dark and mesmerizing display of choreography. The piece enhances "Vessels as Shadows"'s overwhelming sense of impassioned agony and can be viewed after the jump.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player