Prison Garde "The Sound (Reese & Santonio Cover)"
Veteran producer Vaughn Robert Squire (here masquerading as Prison Garde) has sent over a bonus track from his upcoming Forts EP, set for release next month. "The Sound (Reese & Santonio Cover)" features Larry Heard-style chords and heavily swung drums. Like the rest of the EP, the track—in fact, a cover of Reese & Santonio's 1987 track originally released via KMS—was made with an all-hardware kit assembling Roland drum machines, a Juno-60, and raw, analog bass, with Ango lending a hand in the studio. Forts follows Prison Garde’s recent cassette for 100% Silk and nearly two decades of cross-genre play, from bass music to beats under his Sixtoo alias. His next outing will present five new Prison Garde tracks when it drops in digital form on June 3 (with a vinyl release to follow shortly thereafter) via the fast-growing ASL Singles Club imprint.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player