- Words: Glenn Jackson
23-year old producer Luka is said to concern himself with the more solitary ends of hazy R&B and industrial pop. But on "Lowdown," the closing cut from the artist's upcoming The Nest EP, Luka lands somewhere between the bliss-streaked beats of Balam Acab and the murky collages of Teebs (perhaps in his calmer moments). Built around a steady, understated kick-and-rim pattern, "Lowdown" slowly unfolds sets of water-logged chords and airy vocal melodies, which come processed to the point that they resemble soft woodwinds. Our first introduction to the work of Luka (who can sometimes be caught adding an extra symbol to his name, rendering him "Luka ‡"), "Lowdown" speaks well to the budding artist's debut release, slated to drop on July 15.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player