Some Ember "The Thrashing Whip (Avalon Emerson Remix)"
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Last month California duo Some Ember released a self-titled LP (artwork above) of expansive, synth-laced dark wave productions via the fledgling Dream label. Accompanying the release now is this remix from recent Berlin transplant (by way of San Francisco) Avalon Emerson, who reshapes the dark pop of "The Thrashing Whip" into a propulsive excursion through machine-minded techno. Atop its rumbling core, Emerson repurposes the original tracks dreamy synth work, dubbing out lush chords and light vocal murmurs to result in a remix that is as inviting as it is broodingly dense. For its part, the Some Ember duo will be embarking on a comprehensive West Coast tour next month, the full dates of which have been included after the jump.
July 16 The Parliament - Tempe, AZ *
July 17 Whistle Stop, San Diego *
July 18 Complex (Maldoror), Los Angeles *
July 19 The Compound, SLO *
July 20 The Night Light - Oakland *
July 21 Arcata TBA *
July 23 Portland, OR - East End *
July 24 Olympia TBA *
July 25 Seattle - Black Lodge *
July Vancouver - Electric Owl
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player