Curses "Shadows Rising"
Taking a fair amount of inspiration from climatic '80s soundtrack themes, "Shadows Rising" is set to close out the forthcoming Heartbeat EP from Curses, an alias of NYC producer Luca Venezia (perhaps better known as Drop the Lime). Following closely behind his recent outing for Throne of Blood, Curses will next land on Brooklyn's fledgling Safer at Night imprint, and while the upcoming EP's other two tracks are more of what we'd expect from Venezia—dark, vintage-striped house numbers—"Shadows Rising" appears set to serve as an interesting note to end the record on. Aside from its simple hat pattern and occasional bits of extra percussion, "Shadows Rising" is a synth-streaked ambient composition, one led by a thick melodic refrain and kept buoyant by an undulating analog bass sequence. Curses' full Heartbeat EP will see a release on August 19.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player