The XLR8R Office Top Ten Album Picks, July 21
If you keep up with our weekly top ten, you'll notice that Sublight artists have been having their way with us - and Wisp is no exception. Honor Beats is, dare we say it, the perfect semblance of medieval breakcore (complete with bagpipes, heavy synths, and some wholly dark ambiance). This dude has done himself, and probably J.R.R. Tolkien, quite proud.
Ensemble Ensemble Fat Cat
Nothing is more cathartic than hearing Cat Power's Chan Marshall pouring her soul out, over Oliver Alary's moody single, 'Disown Delete.' As Ensemble, Alary has crossed the atmospheric folk threshold with some bittersweet love songs that will stick to your heart stronger than a lifetime of fast food. This debut may be the start of something really, really big.
Kashmere Stage Band Texas Thunder Soul 1968-1974 Stones Throw
Funk doesn't come easy...unless you were in the Kashmere Stage Band somewhere during their 12-year reign. For those of you who aren't extreme vinyl collectors or funk archivists, KSB was a high school band with a slew of changing members, that knew the meaning of wholesome jams. This two-disc collection contains re-mastered and unreleased tracks, and live performances that showcase this hidden gem from a bygone era.
Test Icicles The Dig Your Own GraveEP Domino
I remember a time when Bloc Party remixes dominated clubs form coast to coast. Well, if recent history's taught us anything, Test Icicles' remix EP just might follow suit. Featuring rerubs from James Ford, Armani XXXchange, and Statik, you'll find yourself shaking your ass involuntarily.
Danava 'Quiet Babies Astray in a Manger' Kemado
By no means a typical XLR8R record, Danava's one-sided 12" debut shreds so much we had to include it in our top ten. 'Quiet Babies Astray in a Manger' is the quintessential prog-rock banger of 2006. With over 12 minutes of guitar-laden fury and analog space, weï've taken the trip and it's awesome.
Sasse Made Within the Upper Stairs of Heaven M
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player