T Mobile Goes Techno
Few would have guessed the mobile phone company's next move. After all, they are the wireless provider for Starbucks and used to feature Hollywood celebrities in their TV commercials. We definitely didn't see T-Mobile producing a DVD called Slices - Pioneers of Electronic Music, with Volume 1 featuring the life and work of techno god Richie Hawtin.
Skeptical, we had a peep and it turns out this is one of the best documentaries about techno to come out in a long time. Drawing on events from Hawtin's personal and professional life, the DVD spans a twenty-year career and creates a three-dimensional portrait of one of the genre's icons, with interviews from Hawtin, his parents, Derrick May, Sven Vath, and many others.
Slices - Pioneers of Electronic Music is slated to be a quarterly DVD, and as long as there's no danger of Volume 2 being about someone like Paul Oakenfold, we're ready and waiting for its release.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player