Cut And Paste Expands Tournament Locations
Started in late 2005, Cut And Paste has been heralded as the designers answer to a DJ battle or poetry slam. An audience is invited to view the artists creating their projects in real time as they battle it out to be winner, sort of like Iron Chef meets design world. Projection screens allow viewers to see every brush stroke or mouse click done, the idea being that in this day and age a part of art is the creative process itself.
The tournament was met with such approval that this year the organizers expanded it to include Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, as New York. Judges include illustrator Deanne Cheuk, Flavorpill founder Sascha Lewis, designer Jeff Staple, graffiti artist Buffmonster, and Giant Robot publisher Eric Nakamura. Anyone can enter, and each contestant is provided with tools they'll need to create a variety of projects. At the rate the tournament's popularity is increasing, they might be televising the 2007 edition!
09/29 New York
10/13 Los Angeles
10/20 San Francisco
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player