Portland-based, post-ambient producer Adam Forkner has a definite pension for the stranger side of things (on his MySpace page he states he wants to play in "healing huts"). On his latest offering, Prism of Eternal Now, Forkner's universe is composed of rich, delayed textures, Eastern drums, and engulfing feedback. Recording for both Marriage and Kranky Records, this young mystic may be the next Eno. Look for White Rainbow on tour with Dirty Projectors and YACHT in a town near you.Read more »
Drew Daniel and Martin Schmidt (a.k.a. Matmos) put San Francisco on the map as a hotspot for groundbreaking electronic music. Now, as they pack up and head for a new life in Baltimore, they reflect on the effect the Bay Area (and the dot-com boom) had on their music, and speculate on what's ahead.
Watch This Episode
Episode 18: Mars-1
Episode 19: Chromeo
Read more »
If pop music can in any way be lovable, then six-piece outfit Architecture in Helsinki is the band to make that happen. On Places Like This, the group's third longplayer, the traditional verse-chorus-verse formula is livened up with some tropical flavors, rhythms that call reggaeton to mind, and vocals that may warm some and annoy others, but are nonetheless extremely unique.Read more »
Hunting monsters are the latest theme engrossing Brooklyn-based visual artist Bast, and Devilwood, his forthcoming exhibition that will open in Los Angeles this weekend, features a grip of these twisted creatures adorned with found objects that double as weapons. Bast's paintings tend to examine destruction and uncertainty, and usually include elements from hip-hop culture. Devilwood should be no exception.
Saturday, August 25, 2007
San Francisco isn't a surprising place to find producers making European-stye house, but few accomplish this sound with as much originality as Connecticut-born, S.F.-based Justin Martin, co-founder of the dirtybird imprint (Claude VonStroke, Christian Martin), and also a member of Ben Watt's Buzzin' Fly label.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player