Six Degrees Records Launches Digital Only Series
While digital compilations abound these days, Bay Area-based indie label Six Degrees Records certainly spins the concept in fresh, enthusiastic directions with their Emerging Artists series, a newly launched collection of digital-only releases.
"In some ways, [the digital format] is a return to the early days of the record business where tracks were recorded, pressed, sent to radio, and in the stores in a much quicker time span than we see today," says Six Degrees president Bob Duskis. "[Through] bypassing the constraints of manufacturing, new music can be in the hands of the consumer on an international level very quickly, giving us the ability to see what is resonating with our listeners."
Appropriately, breaking new talent is the focus of the label's new series, which will showcase up-and-coming artists while providing the usual fare of eclectic breaks and world beats for which Six Degrees is known. Vol. 1 features improv jazz artist Rara Avis, Middle Eastern multi-instrumentalist Jef Stott, and San Francisco's own Zaman 8, among others.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player