Six Degrees Records Launches Digital Only Series
While digital compilations abound these days, Bay Area-based indie label Six Degrees Records certainly spins the concept in fresh, enthusiastic directions with their Emerging Artists series, a newly launched collection of digital-only releases.
"In some ways, [the digital format] is a return to the early days of the record business where tracks were recorded, pressed, sent to radio, and in the stores in a much quicker time span than we see today," says Six Degrees president Bob Duskis. "[Through] bypassing the constraints of manufacturing, new music can be in the hands of the consumer on an international level very quickly, giving us the ability to see what is resonating with our listeners."
Appropriately, breaking new talent is the focus of the label's new series, which will showcase up-and-coming artists while providing the usual fare of eclectic breaks and world beats for which Six Degrees is known. Vol. 1 features improv jazz artist Rara Avis, Middle Eastern multi-instrumentalist Jef Stott, and San Francisco's own Zaman 8, among others.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player